For collections searchable by SRU/W, there exists a customizable template web application.
- Keyword Search
- Advanced (fielded) search
- Facets with search results
- Thesaurus support for term expansion
- Search results match highlighting
- Robust search results configuration
- Item display page
- Easy mechanism for branded and customized deployments
- Design the index (see Fedora Index Service)
- Build and deploy the index
- Configure SRU/W to access the index
- Set up the search fields in parserconfig.xml (this is the JQA configuration)
- Set up the fields, thesaurus configuration, etc. in search-config.xml (this is the main application configuration)
- Add all necessary branding to the jsps and css files.
- Structural formatting changes only require alteration of JSPs which contain no scriptlets, but just XML-style elements (HTML tags and Struts)
- Other formatting changes can be accomplished through CSS modifications
- Only formatting is branched when branding. All functionality is contained and generalized within the common code.