Valet for ETDs is an open-source, web-based, workflow management and repository ingest tool for electronic thesis and dissertations. It alllows for staged ingestion of ETDs from a web-based gui to a Fedora backed repository. It has templates for Dublin Core and ETD-MS, and can be altered to support other metadata formats.
- Valet doesn't appear to support images or multiple metadata records per item.
- Open Source with GPL.
- Written for submission of electronic theses and dissertations (hence the name).
- Documentation is minimal.
- Claims to handle documents other than ETDs, but no indication of how to do it.
- Very few people are using it.
- Fedora is bundled with Valet ETD but can use a separate install of Fedora
- Install scripts written specifically for Unix
- Requires some binary libraries and several Perl modules installed
- Difficult to install on Windows without a lot of tweaking
- Requires a web server
- Works with Fedora 2.0. A few lines of code needs to be changed to make it work with Fedora 2.1.
- There are two main forms, one for submission of theses and one for review
- Implements a simple approval workflow
- Submissions are ingested after they are approved.
- There are three stages of approval:
- Metadata review
- Files review
- There is no delivery/view system, items cannot be viewed or modified after they are ingested.
- Stores metadata in DC and ETD-MS formats.
- No default support for images and other types of media.
Adding single items
- Items are added manually using the web interface but they need to go through an approval process before they are actually stored in a fedora repository.
No bulk ingest
Installation notes from Eric Peters:
- Created vtls/index.php to show phpinfo()
- Requires Fedora
- Using Fedora 2.0 (in /usr/local/fedora, port 9090)
- Requires Tomcat
- Using Tomcat 4.1.31 (in /opt/tomcat)
- Requires Java
- Using Java 1.5.0_05 (in /usr/java/jdk1.5.0_05)
- Altered /opt/tomcat/bin/catalina.sh to set JAVA_HOME by default
- Requires Apache
- Using RedHats default Apache (DocRoot in /var/www/html/vtls/indexing)
- Requires PHP 5
- Using PHP 5 (in /usr/local/programs/php-5.0.5
- Requires --with-zlib (http://us2.php.net/manual/en/ref.zlib.php)
- Requires --with-xsl (http://us2.php.net/manual/en/ref.xsl.php)
- Requires --enable-soap (http://us3.php.net/manual/en/ref.soap.php)
- Code Tweaks: (diff -bBr indexing ~/vtls/indexing/indexing)
- Altered configuration/configuration.xml
- Altered XML to reflect local configurations
- Added <DefaultSearch>iudl:*</DefaultSearch>
- Altered common.php
- Line 151, changed "text:*" to get("DefaultSearch") to make it configurable
- Example: http://rhyme.dlib.indiana.edu/vtls/indexing/indexing.php?complete=t
- Installed at /opt/tomcat/webapps/configuration.war
- Not sure how it works yet, but paths are:
- Not installed, PURL wins.
- Requires Jhove
- Using Jhove 1.0
- jars in /opt/tomcat/shared/lib
- conf in /opt/tomcat/webapps/jhove_xhtml/WEB-INF
- Code Tweaks:
- Altered web.xml to reflect local configuration options
- Installed at /opt/tomcat/webapps/srw.war
- Example: http://rhyme.dlib.indiana.edu:8080/srw/gateway?operation=searchRetrieve&version=1.1&query=dc.identifier+%3d%22iudl:*%22
- Code Tweaks:
- Altered srw.config to reflect local configuration options