Valet for ETDs is an open-source, web-based, workflow management and repository ingest tool for electronic thesis and dissertations. It alllows for staged ingestion of ETDs from a web-based gui to a Fedora backed repository. It has templates for Dublin Core and ETD-MS, and can be altered to support other metadata formats.
- Valet doesn't appear to support images or multiple metadata records per item.
- Open Source with GPL.
- Written for submission of electronic theses and dissertations (hence the name).
- Documentation is minimal.
- Claims to handle documents other than ETDs, but no indication of how to do it.
- Very few people are using it.
- Fedora is bundled with Valet ETD but can use a separate install of Fedora
- Install scripts written specifically for Unix
- Requires some binary libraries and several Perl modules installed
- Difficult to install on Windows without a lot of tweaking
- Requires a web server
- Works with Fedora 2.0. A few lines of code needs to be changed to make it work with Fedora 2.1.
- There are two main forms, one for submission of theses and one for review
- Implements a simple approval workflow
- Submissions are ingested after they are approved.
- There are three stages of approval:
- Metadata review
- Files review
- There is no delivery/view system, items cannot be viewed or modified after they are ingested.
- Stores metadata in DC and ETD-MS formats.
- No default support for images and other types of media.
Adding single items
- Items are added manually using the web interface but they need to go through an approval process before they are actually stored in a fedora repository.
No bulk ingest
Installation notes from Eric Peters:
- Created vtls/index.php to show phpinfo()
- Requires Fedora
- Using Fedora 2.0 (in /usr/local/fedora, port 9090)
- Requires Tomcat
- Using Tomcat 4.1.31 (in /opt/tomcat)
- Requires Java
- Using Java 1.5.0_05 (in /usr/java/jdk1.5.0_05)
- Altered /opt/tomcat/bin/catalina.sh to set JAVA_HOME by default
- Not installed, PURL wins.
- Requires Jhove
- Using Jhove 1.0
- jars in /opt/tomcat/shared/lib
- conf in /opt/tomcat/webapps/jhove_xhtml/WEB-INF
- Code Tweaks:
- Altered web.xml to reflect local configuration options
- Installed at /opt/tomcat/webapps/srw.war
- Example: http://rhyme.dlib.indiana.edu:8080/srw/gateway?operation=searchRetrieve&version=1.1&query=dc.identifier+%3d%22iudl:*%22
- Code Tweaks:
- Altered srw.config to reflect local configuration options