Media Collections Online Quick Reference
Most documentation for using Media Collections Online is available on the Avalon Media System wiki. However, the Avalon documentation is not institution-specific, and this page contains IU-specific information. For general help with the file uploading and item management features of Avalon, see the Avalon Collections Guide.
Before creating a collection, please contact Media Collections Online support with the proposed name of the new collection and a brief description of the collection.
Collection Staff Roles
MCO provides several roles that users can be assigned to with differing levels of privilege: Manager, Editor, and Depositor. Managers can add people to the Editor and Depositor roles from the collection page under "Manage Collections." To add new people to the manager role, please contact Media Collections Online support, providing network IDs (usernames) for the staff to be added.
File Management Policy
When you add content to Media Collections Online, the master files are automatically saved to the IU Scholarly Data Archive (SDA). If you skip transcoding by ingesting pre-transcoded derivatives, those derivatives are also stored in SDA.
Once the ingest has successfully completed, the media files are moved to SDA and are no longer available in the dropbox. The batch ingest manifest will also be removed.
Please contact Media Collections Online support to request retrieval of the master file or pre-transcoded derivatives.
Importing MARC Records from IUCAT
MARC records can be imported from IUCAT to MCO in two ways:
- The Import function on the Resource Description Form for an item can import a single IUCAT record into Avalon based on the Catalog Key in IUCAT
- A Batch Ingest Package can contain a spreadsheet of Catalog Keys from IUCAT to import several IUCAT records at the same time
To import from IUCAT into MCO, use the catalog key number at the end of the IUCAT URL for a record as the Bibliographic ID in MCO (for example, 6502911 is the MCO Bibliographic ID from http://iucat.iu.edu/catalog/6502911). This is equivalent to the 035$a Sirsi catalog key in the MARC record and is what is used for IUCAT permanent URLs. Paste that number into the Bibliographic ID column in a Batch Ingest Package spreadsheet or in the Bibliographic ID field in the Resource Description Form. The Bibliographic Label for this identifier is “Catalog Key,” which you would include in the Bibliographic Label column in the spreadsheet or select from the drop-down menu in the Resource Description Form.
MCO Drop Box Access
Please contact Media Collections Online support for information on how to access the Avalon drop box if you will be using batch ingest or need to upload files larger than can be handled by the browser (larger than 250 MB).
Integration with Canvas
There is general documentation about Avalon/LMS integration here: Delivering Avalon Content Through a Learning Management System (LMS), however this is Avalon-general, not Media Collections Online/IU Canvas-specific. As of January 2016, MCO is not yet set up as a Canvas-wide tool. it is still possible to make this connection with some additional development work by the UITS Canvas support team.
- The MCO LTI tool needs to be added to the course site. Justin Zemlyak firstname.lastname@example.org a Canvas administrator that has recently done this setup.
- The LTI tool gives MCO the Canvas course code (ex. SP16-BL-MUS-P110-30862), and this code MUST be used as the External Group's name on the item(s) in MCO.
- The user's browser must accept 3rd party cookies, or the user must add an exception to their browser for MCO.
- Other steps in the process are outlined in Delivering Avalon Content Through a Learning Management System (LMS)
Embedding in Canvas
When embedding A hidden reference to the LTI tool needs to be added on each page to ensure students will be authorized to access MCO videos while in Canvas.