- Crystal: \\bl-libg-crystal\ResearchNow\ (or on a mac: smb://bl-libg-crystal.ads.iu.edu)
On Crystal there are 3 main folders in Research Now for the digitization files. These are broken up into material type and within each are your group folders.
Each contains your group folder; this is where you save your digitized items to be Quality checked. Once the items have gone through manual QC they will be moved to either QC_complete if they passed or to QC_problems if there were issues. The QC_problems also contains group folders. Please check your group folder regularly to see if you have items that need to be re-done. If the item passes QC, it will then be uploaded into the appropriate service.
Each folder will also have an excel spreadsheet that needs to be accurately filled out for tracking purposes. This is also where notes will be added to explain QC failures.
How-to Documents and Notes for Digitization
- Re-house slides after digitization
- number sequentially, ie slides-0001.tif, as Photocat will rename for us
- fill out the spreadsheet as you work!
- Prints and text
- prints will remain in their folders, mark where you leave off for the next person with a sheet of acid-free paper
- prints will be numbered sequentially ie. photo-001.tif, as they also will go into Photocat.
- fill out the spreadsheets as you work!
- document items, re-folder if needed, remove staples, and mark where you leave off for the next person.
- each ITEM in the finding aid folder will have its own folder. There will be the finding aid ID (VAD2046-00003) and its corresponding Item ID folder (VAD2046-00007) and in this folder will contain the individual page images of the document (VAD2046-U-00007-001.tif).
- Finding aid ID and Digitized item ID WILL NOT MATCH, and this is normal. The spreadsheet is what will join the items to the correct metadata; presently the correct recordkeeping is the important part.
- be sure to not add spaces within the first 3 columns in the spreadsheet as it will be machine read at ingestion.
- always record the sequence of the items in each folder; if there is only one item in the folder, the sequence is 1.
- documents have a finding aid inventory (VAD2046inventory.xls) to consult and help you fill out the working spreadsheet (VAD2046.xls). It contains the Folder ID from the finding aid and also a description that will need to be carried over.
- Overview of how to use the color controls
- Schedule with Kara (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you want more intensive/one-on-one training with the hardware.
Quality Control workflow (Group Assignments)
- Group 1 checks Group 4
- Group 2 checks Group 1
- Group 3 checks Group 2
- Group 4 checks Group 3
Be sure to enter your initials and group number on the working spreadsheets so you are credited with doing your share!
Visual QC entails:
- is it the correct item described
- correct and complete sequence (documents)
- looks like a reasonable surrogate of the original item
- correct orientation/neat/straight/in focus/correct color or greyscale for the item
- named correctly
Automated QC takes place during processing into the systems and entails:
- correct filetype
- embedded color profile
- filename corresponds to folder name (documents)
When visual QC is completed move the item into the corresponding folder so it will be put on its way through the systems. If the items you are checking are photos/slides and they pass QC, upload the item to ICO and move the file into the in_PhotoCat folder to signify that it has been uploaded once it shows up in Photocat. NOTE: Moving files while they are still being uploaded will cause the upload to fail. Move them AFTER you see the image in photocat. Do not delete files; we will attend to this once items are verified that they have gone through the ingest procedures successfully.
All participants will scan AND do quality control on their peers' work. Each individual is to digitize 25 slides/photos AND at least two folders of documents. Some document folders contain very few items, if you choose one of these, please do several to even out the workload.
Everyone will also QC roughly the same number of items.
- Lab is available to schedule Monday-Friday 9am to 4:30pm.
- There is ONE slide scanner, so do not overlap times.
- There will always be at least 2 free flatbed scanners available.
- If you want 1-on-1 assistance, please email or send a meeting request to email@example.com
|6/12||Thursday||Naz, Emily, Dee, Angela||slides||9:30-noon|
|6/18||Wednesday||Naz, Dee, Emily||slide||10-3pm|
|6/19||Thursday||Catherine and anyone who would like to join her||slides||2-4|
|8/5||Tues||Nick||documents||9:30 - 11:30 am|