The topics and resources identified in this document stem from notes taken during our 3/25 seminar session on Research Methods led by Catherine Minter.
- Sign-Up for your History of the IU Libraries research topic!
Original History of IU Libraries Web site
Books & Articles
History of IU Libraries:
- Mildred Hawksworth Lowell, Indiana University Libraries, 1829-1942 (Chicago, 1957). Dissertation providing in-depth coverage of the history of the IU Libraries up to 1942. Location: Carrel 10-2A
- William Albert Alexander, History of the Indiana University Library, January 20, 1820 to February 22, 1937 (unpublished typescript). Location: Digitization queue
- Thomas D. Clark, "Building Libraries in the Early Ohio Valley," The Journal of Library History 6, no.2 (1971): 101-19. Article by historian touching on the earliest history of the IU Libraries. Available through JSTOR.
History of Indiana University:
- Thomas D. Clark, Indiana University: Midwestern Pioneer, 4 vols. (Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1970-77). Most recent and most comprehensive history of the university; volume 4 includes historical documents. Location: Carrel 10-2A
- James A. Woodburn, History of Indiana University, 2 vols. (Bloomington: Indiana University, 1940). History of the university to 1937 by IU professor. Location: Carrel 10-2A (vol. 1 only)
- Theophilus Wylie, ed. Indiana University (Indianapolis: Burford, 1890). History of the university to 1890 by IU's first librarian. Location: Carrel 10-2A
- James Capshew’s Wells biography – to be added, if desired
- On being lucky, by Herman B Wells – to be added, if desired
Academic libraries in North America:
- Arthur T. Hamlin, The University Library in the United States: Its Origins and Development (Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1981). Useful broad overview. Location: Carrel 10-2A
- Louis Shores, Origins of the American College Library, 1638-1800 (New York: Barnes & Noble, 1935). Location: Carrel 10-2A
- David Kaser writings (on library architecture) – to be added
- Brian Keith in Geology (for limestone history) – to be added
Supplementary Primary Sources
- Archives Online
- http://go.iu.edu/i9j (a search on Libraries compiled by Dina Kellams)
- Archives of Institutional Memory (AIM)
- Archives Photograph Collection
- Newspaper Archives
- Chronicling America Historic Newspapers
- Online newspapers (HT and IDS)
Tidbits from our IU Archives orientation session.
- Very small fraction of collection represented on Archives Online; contact Dina or Carrie Schwier with research and reference questions
- The IUL Newsletter in the Archives (helps to fill the gaps of the run in the stacks, which we will be digitizing)
- The Indiana University Catalogs (published annually) make for a good resource for tracking library locations (esp. branches) over time including hours of operation, etc.
Changing mission of the library if that can be determined
Different campus libraries
Development of technology within the libraries
Development of collection development
Development of public services
Feature deans and leaders of the libraries
Feature the physical spaces
Naming of the library
Faculty status for librarians
Track research guides to “hot topics” of the times, approaches to content at certain periods of time