How to Update to Variations Webapps 6.1
This page explains how to upgrade from 6.0 to 6.1 for the Variations web applications (Web Services, Web UI, and Access Manager). If you have any questions about or problems with the update process, please contact Chris Colvard (812-856-0026, firstname.lastname@example.org).
To see a list of changes, see the 6.1 changelog in our JIRA bug tracker:
Step 1. Upgrade the Variations Webapps from 6.0 to 6.1
Note: The upgrade process will stop your Variations web applications. You will also have to allow time for some hand-editing of configuration files to preserve your local customizations. And finally you will have to restart your Variations web applications.
To install the new webapps, execute the following commands from your tomcat directory, /usr/local/tomcat, as the user tomcat.
- Download the 6.1 version of variations-ws-server.war, variations-ui-web.war, and variation-mgmt-web.war.
- First, undeploy the existing webapps and back them up:
mv /usr/local/tomcat/webapps/variations-ws-server.war /usr/local/tomcat/webapps/variations-ws-server.war.6.0
mv /usr/local/tomcat/webapps/variations-ui-web.war /usr/local/tomcat/webapps/variations-ui-web.war.6.0
mv /usr/local/tomcat/webapps/variations-mgmt-web.war /usr/local/tomcat/webapps/variations-mgmt-web.war.6.0
- Check that the webapps have been undeployed by seeing if the directories of the same name are gone:
- Perform the following configuration changes to the Variations webapp configuration files as follows:
- Change the variations2.dir system property's value to the one below:
- If you haven't edited this file, you may copy the corrected version of this file from /usr/local/tomcat/webapps/variations-ws-server/WEB-INF/conf/accessPolicy-ws.xml and skip the step below.
- Uncomment the EDIT_LEASE Action element:
- Add a configuration for the lease web service inside the <webservices> element. Replace the url's hostname, username, and password with the appropriate values (these are the same as in the other webservice tags):
- Add an attribute to the <servletcontext> element to allow web player statistics to appear alongside Variations server statistics by having the web player log to the Variations server's log server. Change example.example.edu to be the host of your Variations server:
- Deploy the downloaded webapps by copying them into tomcat's webapp directory
- That's it! Check that the newly deployed webapps are functioning properly.