October 5/6 Project Participant Meeting: Background
The Variations on Video Planning Grant planning grant specified this meeting as one of it's key activities:
IU, with support from IMLS funding, will host a meeting in September or October 2010 inviting select librarians and technologists from IU, NU, and 5-6 additional college and university libraries and IT divisions with needs or existing experience in digital media collection management and delivery. At this meeting, we will seek input from the participants on functional and technical requirements for a video-enabled Variations system, as well as information on existing systems, tools, workflows, and experience in place at the participating institutions that might be leveraged as part of a development effort. These participants will serve as an ongoing informal advisory board and potential collaborators in development of later grant proposals.
This meeting was held on the Indiana University campus in Bloomington on October 5 and 6, 2010. There were 30 attendees from the following organizations:
- Indiana University (Bloomington)
- Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis
- New York University
- Northwestern University
- Ohio State University
- Opencast Matterhorn / Berkeley
- Stanford University
- University of Miami
- University of York
PDFs of slides presented at the meeting are linked below. For a more up-to-date version of some of these slides, along with a slide-based summary of the meeting, review the slides from our EDUCAUSE 2010 presentation (PDF).
Usage Scenario Discussions
Scenarios available for review as PDF files are:
Discussions around the usage scenarios were used to generate a lists of user-centered requirements. This list serves as an initial, unprioritized collection of usage-grounded requirements. The document also includes a list of possible requirements that didn't emerge from our scenarios as well as a list of product concept alternatives that offer focus for a subset of the requirements.
Dinner Discussion Summaries
At dinner the first night of the meetings, we held a working dinner where three tables each had moderated discussion of a particular topic. Notes from these discussions are available.
On day 2, there were two breakout sessions.
- Technical Choices - Notes.
- Functional Priorities (xlsx) - Spreadsheet grouping functional requirements by probable module.
Wrap-Up and Next Steps
- Develop product concepts from these modules identified by the breakout sessions
- Continue broader discussions through presentations and discussions at conferences
- Educause conference birds of a feather meeting will be held after survey data talk
- DLF Forum presentation
- We want a collaborative group of institutions to invest in development for VoV. The full IMLS grant is due February 2011 (partnership should be solidified from now until the end of November).
- Levels of involvement:
- Full-fledged development partner (user-experience design/quality assurance/programming/development)
- Test/deploy/experiment/provide feedback on our initial designs (lesser resource requirement level)
- A meeting for development partners will be held at Northwestern in December