For information on current and previous versions of Avalon, please see the Releases page on Github.
Upcoming 6.x Releases
The current release of Avalon 6 is: Avalon 6.4.5
- Enhanced structural metadata editing—edit structure for a section visually (core)
- Import of structure within media files (such as WAV cue points) upon ingest (depending on amount of effort, core or IU)
- Performance improvements for objects and playlists with large numbers of items (investigate to decide whether core or IU)
- IIIF Manifest generation from media objects (IU)
Our goal with Avalon 7.0 is to offer a full-featured media streaming application based on the modern Samvera stack. To this end, Avalon 7 will be built using Hyrax as a base, offering developers an environment they know and understand, and offering administrators the flexibility to run stand-alone streaming solutions or integrate scalable streaming into existing Hyrax-based applications. As we work toward full-feature parity with Avalon 6, we will continue development and support. Each dot release milestone is estimated to be an 8-week work cycle.
IIIF gem used in Hyrax updated to generate IIIF Presentation API 3.0 manifests (possible collaboration with community)
- Order of masterfiles is necessary metadata
- Order of multi-valued pieces of metadata will wait until later
- Player c
- Time can be navigated via structural metadata
- Port Structural metadata (structure within) as current XML
- Dynamically generated IIIF compliant manifest generated from Media Work type
- We intend for the manifest to be a central point of interoperability
- The manifest will be based on the current IIIF-AV 3.0 standard
- Manifests will be generated based on technical and descriptive metadata
- Manifests should ideally use the same endpoints as Hyku (possibly the same generation tool)
- The manifest contains the structural information, The display should exercise the manifest.
- Structural metadata will be stored in XML and crosswalked to the manifest
- Metadata experts talk through what metadata (descriptive or any other kind) to include. There is already an issue for the recommended descriptive metadata. Need to take a deeper look for technical metadata. (https://gist.github.com/jlhardes/1e3adada7410591f46b170e65dce20af
- Investigate Matterhorn alternatives
- Matterhorn gives us the nice interface for monitoring
- Hyrax may suggest a monitoring interface for job queues
- Exploring how from a collection manager/depositor perspective: if there are issues, how does that get resolved?
0.4 – 9/17 - 11/10/18
The goal of this sprint is to complete a basic ingestion pipeline including ingestion, transcoding of streaming derivatives and the ability for our IIIF player to play those derivatives. In addition, we will start a shared sprint with the WGBH team on batch ingestion, building on the work of Northwestern's DONUT. The team will prep any components necessary for Samvera Connect.
Core Feature work
- Re-evaluating IIIF 3 manifest generation as the spec nears completion
- Expanded streaming server support
- Possible Hyrax import gem (or generic base with per-app modifications)
- Developing in collaboration with WGBH/AVP using Donut work
- Ensure batch ingest spreadsheet and documentation are updated
UI/UX work - mockups / Initial design work
- Create designs for Home/list/item and playlist pages
- Structural metadata rendering
- Avalon look and feel defined, with mockups for evaluation
- Start of style guide
- Wireframes generated
- Hi-fidelity (HTML) mockups?
Transcoding pipeline work — ActiveEncode
Continued metadata work
- Batch ingest using RDF
Docker and Local Install instructions
0.5 – 11/26/18 - 1/11/19
- Transcoding pipeline
- Single item Status Endpoint within ActiveEncode
- Single item Status Endpoint within ActiveEncode
- IIIF Authentication
- Defining the scope for a transcoding dashboard within the application
- Refinement of installation instructions, including Docker and local
- Batch Ingest Functionality
- Start UI/UX Work
- Beginning mockups for homepage, search, etc.
0.6 – 1/28 - 3/22
- BIB Import w/ better Error Handling
- Create Posters and serialize to IIIF manifest. Player should show them
- Begin implementing playlist functionality
- Embedded Player
- Permissions WG Check in for work in .6
- UI/ Design - skinning
- Automation scripts - Ansible
- Continued Transcoding pipeline work
0.7 – 4/8 - 5/31
At the the end of this cycle, playlists will be completed and Avalon bundle will have a publish/unpublish feature analogous to it's current solution (ideally using core Hyrax features). The bundle will also be deployable using automation tools (TBD).
- Possible Permissions work
- Playlist cont.
- Publish/ Unpublish (save issue)
- Automated deployments Scripts cont'd
- Grant Extension work
0.8 – 6/17 - 8/9
At the conclusion of this cycle, Avalon 6's structural metadata editor will be ported to the new release. The user interface will be fully customized an Avalon look and feel, and the ingest API will be implemented within the application. LTI authorization features will also be added for LMS integration.
- Structural Metadata Editor - porting from Avalon 6
- Ingest API
- Continued UI Work
- LTI Functionality
0.9 – 8/26 - 9/18/19
At the end of this cycle, the Avalon look and feel will continued to be refined. Documentation will be written or expanded upon for use by users and adopters.
- Look and feel refinement
- Instructions - Plugin/ Component Docs
- Bag content for Archivematica
- Avalon Bundle BETA!