For information on current and previous versions of Avalon, please see the Releases page on Github.
Upcoming 6.x Releases
- Enhanced structural metadata editing—edit structure for a section visually
- Import of structure within media files (such as WAV cue points) upon ingest
- Performance improvements for objects and playlists with large numbers of items
- IIIF Manifest generation from media objects
Our goal with Avalon 7.0 is to offer a full-featured media streaming application based on the modern Samvera stack. To this end, Avalon 7 will be built using Hyrax as a base, offering developers an environment they know and understand, and offering administrators the flexibility to run stand-alone streaming solutions or integrate scalable streaming into existing Hyrax-based applications. As we work toward full-feature parity with Avalon 6, we will continue development and support. Each dot release milestone is estimated to be a 6-week work cycle.
IIIF gem used in Hyrax updated to generate IIIF Presentation API 3.0 manifests (possible collaboration with community)
- Order of masterfiles is necessary metadata
- Order of multi-valued pieces of metadata will wait until later
- Player c
- Time can be navigated via structural metadata
- Port Structural metadata (structure within) as current XML
- Dynamically generated IIIF compliant manifest generated from Media Work type
- We intend for the manifest to be a central point of interoperability
- The manifest will be based on the current IIIF-AV 3.0 standard
- Manifests will be generated based on technical and descriptive metadata
- Manifests should ideally use the same endpoints as Hyku (possibly the same generation tool)
- The manifest contains the structural information, The display should exercise the manifest.
- Structural metadata will be stored in XML and crosswalked to the manifest
- Metadata experts talk through what metadata (descriptive or any other kind) to include. There is already an issue for the recommended descriptive metadata. Need to take a deeper look for technical metadata. (https://gist.github.com/jlhardes/1e3adada7410591f46b170e65dce20af
- Investigate Matterhorn alternatives
- Matterhorn gives us the nice interface for monitoring
- Hyrax may suggest a monitoring interface for job queues
- Exploring how from a collection manager/depositor perspective: if there are issues, how does that get resolved?
- Simple UI modifications in Hyrax