See the Avalon 6.5 Release Notes for more information.
Avalon 6.5 and above requires Ruby 2.4 or newer. If you're using RVM, simply run
For Manual Installations
- Download and deploy new code from the avalon repository.
- Upgrade to bundler 2, update gems, and DB
3. Install yarn and update JS dependencies
4. Restart passenger (if using)
5. Upgrade Redis and Restart Resque (background jobs processor)
6. Upgrade ffmpeg (version 4+). You can either download a prebuilt binary
Or use https://github.com/jrottenberg/ffmpeg to build ffmpeg and then copy it to your machine. Be sure to update the ffmpeg path in
config/settings.yml to match where it was installed.
7. Disable Matterhorn HLS prechunking (if not already) by commenting out the HLS directory in etc/config.properties.
Then restart Matterhorn
This takes the HLS distribution module offline causing Matterhorn to appear in an error state on the about page. This does not indicate a real problem but you can optionally choose to fix it by manually deleting the module from the Matterhorn database.
Note that if you do this you should also remove the HLS distribution steps from the avalon workflows in /usr/local/matterhorn/etc/workflows.
8. Update encoding profiles
More information about changes to the default encoding profile can be found in the avalon-felix repository.
9. Setup nginx streaming if you had been previously depending on the rails server to serve the HLS content.
10. Run waveform backfill script
This script will kick off many background jobs to generate waveform data for existing content for use with the new structural metadata editor. (New content will have waveforms generated as part of the ingest process.) If you have a lot of files ingested into Avalon the background jobs may take a very long time to run. See Waveform Backfill Script for more information.
11. Turn on the timeliner in settings.yml:
For Docker Installations
Rebuild and replace Avalon container.