See the Avalon 7.0 Release Notes for more information.
Avalon 7.0 and above requires Ruby 2.5 or newer. If you're using RVM, simply run
Avalon uses ImageMagick to crop the Collection poster
|Old setting||New setting||Note|
Choose which collections to display in the featured and carousel portions of the new homepage.
Ingest API Authorization changes
Changes were made to the authorization mechanism for the Avalon Ingest API in Avalon 7.0. In previous versions, user sessions authenticated with an API token were granted admin user access. In version 7.0 and later, user sessions authenticated with an API token will be granted the same access as the token's associated user. The means that when upgrading to Avalon 7.0, any API tokens in use must be checked to ensure that their associated users have the necessary permissions to perform API functions.
For Manual Installations
- Download and deploy new code from the avalon repository.
- Install bundler 2, update gems, and migrate DB
3. Update JS dependencies
3. Copy rightsstatement.org controlled vocabulary from config/controlled_vocabulary.yml.example into config/controlled_vocabulary.yml
4. Update configuration, see Config changes above
5. Restart passenger (if using)
6. Replace Resque with Sidekiq (background jobs processor). Look at our Manual Instructions for more details.
7. Upgrade mediainfo
8. Retire Matterhorn
9. Setup nginx streaming if you had been previously depending on the rails server to serve the HLS content.
10. Run waveform backfill script
This script will kick off many background jobs to generate waveform data for existing content for use with the new structural metadata editor. (New content will have waveforms generated as part of the ingest process.) If you have a lot of files ingested into Avalon the background jobs may take a very long time to run. See Waveform Backfill Script for more information.
For Docker Installations
Pull or Rebuild Avalon container.
Check config changes then replace the Avalon container