These are my (bdwheele) brainstorming notes for the VM image...I'm still testing this.
- Using VirtualBox:
- 1 Core
- 3G RAM
- 500G System Disk (VMDK, Dynamically Allocated)
- Set network to "Attached to Bridged Adapter"
Base OS Install
- Centos 6.4 x86-64
- English language and keyboard
- hostname: localhost.localdomain (the default)
- if it is localhost it should set it to the dhcp hostname provided.
- Clear "Device MAC address"
- Connect automatically
- IPv4 Settings
- Automatic (DHCP)
- DHCP client ID: avalon-vm
- set timezone to america/indiana/indianapolis, clock uses utc
- root password is 'changeme'
- custom layout
- /dev/sda1: 500M ext4 mounted as /boot
- /dev/sda2: (remainder of disk) Physical volume
- Volume Group: vg_avalon
- PVs: /dev/sda2
- LV lv_swap 2G
- LV lv_root (remainder of disk) ext4 mounted as /
- custom layout
- Desktop install
- Reboot / Firstboot
- Leave all of the defaults, except...
- Do Not create a new user
- Log in as root
- do not check "do not show me this again" to the "you are running as root" dialog. Just close it.
- yum update
- open these ports in the firewall:
- shut down the VM
- at this point the vm is at "baseOS" and can be used as a cloning point
- clone the baseOS image as puppet-YYYYMMDD
- Use the installation notes from https://github.com/avalonmediasystem/avalon-installer
export Code Block
after step 9, set up the default password for the avalondrop account:
- When setting FACTER_* environment variables, also set FACTER_avalon_dropbox_password
- to "changeme
- stop after running the puppet script (do not log into Avalon)
VM Image Prep
- Install avalon-vm-1.0-1.noarch.rpm to install the firstboot changes and tools
- run /usr/share/avalon/dist-prep to prepare the machine for release
- clear the command line history (history -c)
- shutdown the VM
- Export Appliance
- the appliance
- use a 0.9 version
- use a MANIFEST
- copy the .ova file
- OVA to the distribution point