Multiple people can catalog items in the same collection at the same time as long as they do not alter the same record. A record can only be edited by one person at a time. If multiple catalogers accidentally edit the same records, they will encounter an error when attempting to save.
On the right side of the page there will be an item preview box containing a visual representation of the item whose metadata is currently being edited. If alternate views or formats are available links to access them will be presented in this preview box. Administrators for a collection will have access to the digital master image.
If you wish to replace an image already attached to a record, you must have administrative privileges for your collection. To delete/replace an image, click on the "manage files" link in the Item Preview box. You will be presented with an option to delete the existing image (click on link labeled "Delete"). Once the file has been deleted, you will be redirected to the "Edit View" of the record with an option to upload a new file.
Adding Multiple Images per Record
*If* your collection was setup to allow for the uploading of multiple images per record, you will be able to do this in the "manage files" section. Under the heading "Upload Images" you should see an option to upload additional image files. ICO Cataloger currently does not allow for re-ordering of images. If you would like the images to appear in some pre-defined order, you can do this manually by uploading last the images you want to appear first.
Files can take anywhere between two minutes to fifteen minutes to upload depending on the level of activity for all users of ICO Cataloger. You will see a status message that reads: "File submitted at Oct 5, 2016, awaiting processing." You can continue to upload files and edit metadata, but you should check back at some point to make sure your file was indeed loaded.
Quality Control for Metadata
ICO Cataloger/Photocat provides a record status, "pending review," which facilitates metadata quality control at the record-level, especially if you employ a two-pronged approach to metadata creation:basic description followed by subject analysis. ICO Cataloger/Photocat also provides efficient ways to review data entry by browsing values entered by field. Batch functionality discussed above provides quick ways to update values. For example, it is not uncommon to catch typos or variant name entries that should be standardized.
- Initiate a "Batch replace/remove" for the incorrect term (i.e., For General Contractor, for "W. E. Wood Company," 8 records)
- In the Search and Replace screen, replace W. E. Wood Company with W. E. Wood Co.
- Click "Replace/Remove Values"
- Right-top of screen you will see a status for batch "Operations." The % update is not working so refresh "Browse" page in a few second to make sure all records were updated.
- Once updated you should see a message (after you refresh the browser): "Items updated as part of search and replace operation." [with number of items in brackets]
- Be paranoid every so often and browse by subject to make sure the batch update worked!
- Conduct one "batch replace" at a time or you may encounter an error in ICO Cataloger
- Make sure all records have been updated before initiating another batch update
- If you follow step iii every time, this will both ensure your updates worked and will prevent ICO Cataloger from "breaking"