- Journal Manager: a step below the Site Administrator, allows complete access to the sections of OJS 3 covered in this wiki, including the ability to change the submission process, website appearance, workflow settings, manage users and roles, and assign tasks to all other roles
- Editor: oversees review, editing, and publishing, but does not have access to website settings and cannot alter workflow settings or templates/forms
- Assistant: ??? can communicate with other users and upload and revise files
- Author: can submit their materials as well as track the progress of their submissions by logging into the journal's website
- Reviewer: review submissions after being assigned review tasks by the journal manager or editor
- Reader: only able to access content but unable to edit anything or access administrative functions
- Subscription Manager: ???manages site access settings and any subscription standards your journal may have
Once the permission level is set and the role name/abbreviation created, you can temporarily assign the stages in which this new role will be involved. The boxes you check under "Stage Assignment" are the boxes that will be available for enabling/disabling to the right of Role Name in the "Current Roles" box, and can be altered at any time. Finally, you will be provided with three Role Options. Here, you can decide whether or not this role will appear in your contributor list and you have the option of granting two final special permissions. If this role has a permissions level of Journal Manager or Editor, you should probably not allow self-registration as anonymous and unchecked users could then register as this role and gain more administrative access than required. The final option in this section will also limit this new role's abilities, as it will require review and editorial overview from an editor or Journal Manager for any final decisions.