Indiana University, in partnership with Northwestern University, has been awarded a grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation to support work on Avalon development and community building through January, 2017 - with a no-cost extension to July, 2018. In 2011, Indiana University and Northwestern University began to develop Avalon, a freely available open source software system that enables academic Avalon Media System is an open source software system for managing and providing access to large collections of digital audio and video. The freely available system enables libraries and archives to easily curate, distribute and provide online access to their video and audio collections. This was made possible in part by a National Leadership Grant from collections for purposes of teaching, learning and research. The Avalon Community is made up of over a dozen educational, media and open-technology institutions and is part of the broader Samvera Community. The project is led by Indiana University Libraries, with past support from Northwestern University Libraries, the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
Learn About the Avalon Project
The best place to start learning is the Avalon Media System project website.
To join one of the project mailing lists or to connect with the project in other ways
- Visit the Avalon Connect page
Project background documents are linked below.
- Mellon Grant Proposal Narrative
- IMLS Grant Proposal One-Page Abstract
- IMLS Grant Proposal Narrative
- IU press release, March 10, 2015: IU Libraries and partners receive $931,000 from Mellon Foundation grants
- IU press release, November 30, 2011: IU receives grant to create software system for video and audio collections
For more information, please contact the Project Directors:
For partners and others wanting to try out the system or install it.
- Try out Avalon on a test server
- Download a virtual machine image of Avalon, or install it manually
- Quick links to Avalon technical documentation
- Supported Browsers and Platforms
- Avalon Release Roadmap
For collection managers