- Install your choice of Linux distribution.
Indiana University currently runs Variations on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 (RHEL 6). Derivatives of it such as Centos or White Box will be very similar, but for other distributions, the filenames and/or procedures may be different. The instructions below are tailored to RHEL6.
- Select "Software Development Workstation" when asked about selecting a software set.
- When creating the first user, this can be the "dmlserv" user that is required further on in the installation. ( #Variations Administration User Account Creation )
- Set up your RedHat Network subscription, and update to latest release:
- Install needed packages
yum install gd-devel gdbm-devel
Ensure that hostname -i returns the numeric IP address and not the host name. Warning
- If hostname -i returns the IP and 127.0.0.1
- , edit /etc/hosts so that the ::1 entry has only the values localhost6.localdomain6 and localhost6.
- If hostname -i returns the host name, edit /etc/hosts to put the IP and hostname in a separate line entry.
Code Block title Example /etc/hosts
# Do not remove the following line, or various programs # that require network functionality will fail. 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost 129.12.345.67 taishan.dlib.indiana.edu taishan ::1 localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6