Indiana University, in partnership with Northwestern University, has been awarded a National Leadership Grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services to support the creation of a freely available open source software system to enable academic Avalon Media System is an open source software system for managing and providing access to large collections of digital audio and video. The freely available system enables libraries and archives to easily curate, distribute and provide online access to their video and audio collections. This project, formerly known as Variations on Video, will run from October 1, 2011 - September 30, 2014collections for purposes of teaching, learning and research. The Avalon Community is made up of over a dozen educational, media and open-technology institutions and is part of the broader Samvera Community. The project is led by Indiana University Libraries, with past support from Northwestern University Libraries, the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
Learn About the Avalon Project
The best place to start learning is the Avalon Media System project website.
To join one of the project mailing lists or to connect with the project in other ways
- Visit the Avalon Connect page
Older Project background documents and project background are linked below.
- Mellon Grant Proposal Narrative
- IMLS Grant Proposal One-Page Abstract
- IMLS Grant Proposal Narrative
- IU press release, March 10, 2015: IU Libraries and partners receive $931,000 from Mellon Foundation grants
- IU press release, November 30, 2011: IU receives grant to create software system for video and audio collections
For more information, please contact the Project DirectorsDirector:
Older documents, to be organized
For partners and others wanting to try out the system or install it.
- Try out Avalon on a test serverAvalon Release Roadmap
- Download a virtual machine image of Avalon, or install it manually
- Quick links to Avalon technical documentation
- Supported Browsers and Platforms
- Avalon Release Roadmap
Other tools and places
Old documents, to be organized
For collection managers