The Indiana University Libraries-Bloomington ' Born Digital Preservation Lab is part of the Digital Preservation Unit, which resides in Library Technologies. Began in January 2016, the lab aims to develop workflows and procedures to effectively preserve and manage all born-digital content owned by the Libraries, as well as to assist other IU departments and colleges. Please see our documentation below for further information. Feel free to contact us at any time with questions or for advice on projects.
Practices and Procedures
Safe Handling Procedures
Heidi Dowding, Digital Preservation Librarian | firstname.lastname@example.org | (812) 856-5295
Luke Menzies, Digital Preservation Assistant | email@example.com (BDPL) contains equipment and software to assist with the preservation of born-digital assets that have been stored on legacy physical media or otherwise transferred to the Library.
Using the Consultative Committee for Space Data Systems's Reference Model for an Open Archival Information System (now ISO 14721) as a foundation, the BDPL's current procedures (as of August 2019) include:
- Migration of content off removable physical media (or network storage locations) using tools that will ensure the authenticity and integrity of materials.
- Content analysis to detect viruses and malware; detect sensitive information; and identify file formats.
- Creation of standardized Submission Information Packages (SIPs) comprised of digital content and associated technical, descriptive, and preservation metadata.
- Provide an opportunity for collecting units to conduct a review and appraisal of content.
- Transfer of SIPs to the Scholarly Data Archive for secure storage.
Moving forward, the Indiana University Libraries will implement additional tools and workflows to run on these SIPs and produce both Archival Information Packages (AIPs) for long-term preservation and Dissemination Information Packages (DIPs) for user access.
Set-Up and Procedures
The following pages provide additional information on workstation set up and performance of BDPL procedures.
BDPL Ingest Tool: https://github.com/IUBLibTech/bdpl_ingest
Current template for unit shipments to the BDPL: TEMPLATE-Digital-Archives_Inventory-Workflow_20191029.xltx
Sample plain text file for separations: separations.txt