Using the Consultative Committee for Space Data Systems's Reference Model for an Open Archival Information System (now ISO 14721) as a foundation, the BDPL's current procedures (as of August 2019) include:
- Migration of content off removable physical media (or network storage locations) using tools that will ensure the authenticity and integrity of materials.
- Content analysis to identify detect viruses and malware; detect sensitive information; and identify file formats.
- Creation of standardized Submission Information Packages (SIPs) comprised of digital content and associated technical, descriptive, and preservation metadata.
- Provide an opportunity for collecting units to conduct a review and appraisal of content.
- Transfer of SIPs to the Scholarly Data Archive for secure storage.
Current template for unit shipments to the BDPL: TEMPLATE-Digital-Archives_Inventory-Workflow_2019072420191029.xltx
Sample plain text file for separations: separations.txt