WinSCP is an application for transferring files using FTP (File Transfer Protocol), including SFTP (Secure FTP). These instructions will guide you through connecting to the Media Collections Online dropbox folder for your collection using WinSCP for Windows. Using the dropbox can be helpful when creating a media item made up of several files.
The location for a collection's dropbox is listed at the bottom of the Manage File(s) screen for an item (the first page that appears when creating a new item).
The location, sftp://dropbox.dlib.indiana.edu:/srv/avalon/dropbox/Sample_Videos, contains all of the information you'll need when connecting:
- Connection Protocol: SFTP
- Server URL: pawpaw.dlib.indiana.edu
- Remote Directory for the collection (the directory begins after the colon if present): /srv/avalon/dropbox/Sample_Video
Connecting to the Dropbox Folder with WinSCP
- Open WinSCP to arrive at the login screen; enter the above information in the blank fields (see below):
- File protocol should be set to SFTP
- Enter the server URL found above in the "Host Name" field
- Enter your username and password. If you do not know your username or password, you may not have access and should contact your system administrator.
- Select the "Advanced..." settings.
- Navigate to "Directories" under "Environment."
- Enter the remote directory found above in the "Remote Directory Field" and select "OK."
- Select "Login" to connect to the dropbox.
Adding Content to the Dropbox Folder
Once WinSCP has connected to the dropbox, adding content to the folder is a simple drag-and-drop process.
- Navigate to the folder or files you wish to upload using the left pane of the file manager.
- Drag and drop any content into the space on the right pane of the file manager.
- Time for transfer will vary depending on the number and size of the files uploaded.
- Once the transfer has been completed, you can either close WinSCP and terminate the session or leave it open if more content will still be uploaded.
Accessing Content in the Dropbox Folder with Avalon
After content has been uploaded to the dropbox folder, it can be accessed when creating items in Avalon under the Manage File(s) screen for an item (see top image). Single files can be selected and processed here, but several files can also be selected at the same time if they are sections of a single item.
- Select the "Open Dropbox" button.
- Select one file or all of the files that make up a single item, and submit the form.
At this point, your files have been pulled from the dropbox and can be created following the standard process. See the Avalon Collections Guide for more information on creating items in Avalon.