Items in Avalon can be created by uploading single files at a time, uploading via batch ingest, or by uploading files to an Avalon dropbox. The dropbox method is useful when uploading numerous files to a single collection, especially when some or all the files constitute a larger media item (e.g. an orchestra concert spanning three separate files). After the pertinent files have been uploaded to the collection's dropbox, they can be accessed in Avalon simultaneously in order to form an item.
Uploading files to an Avalon dropbox requires the use of a Secure File Transfer Protocol (SFTP) client, like WinSCP (Windows), Cyberduck (Mac), or FileZilla (both). This user guide will explain the process of connecting a client to an Avalon dropbox, transferring files, and accessing files through Avalon.
Connecting to an Avalon Dropbox with an SFTP Client
The connection information for an Avalon dropbox is found in the Manage File(s) section when creating an item:
The dropbox location, sftp://dropbox.dlib.indiana.edu:/srv/avalon/dropbox/Sample_Videos, contains all the necessary information for connection.
- File Protocol: sftp
- Host name: dropbox.dlib.indiana.edu
- Remote Directory Path (begins after the colon if present): /srv/avalon/dropbox/Sample_Videos
- Username and Password: your username and password provide access to the remote directory. If you do not have access to the dropbox, contact your system administrator.
- On the "Login" screen, enter the connection information in the related fields.
- Select "Advanced," and navigate to "Directories" under "Environment."
- Enter the remote directory in the corresponding field and select "OK."
- Select "Login" to connect to the dropbox.
- Under "File", open the "Site Manager."
- Select "New Site" if one is not already selected.
- Enter the connection information in the related fields.
- Logon type should be set to "Normal."
- Under the "Advanced" tab, enter the remote directory path in the "Default Remote Directory" field, and select "Connect."
- If warned about "Unknown host key," check "Always trust this host" and continue to connect to the dropbox.
Uploading Files to the Dropbox
Once your SFTP client has connected to the Avalon dropbox, moving content into the dropbox is a simple drag-and-drop process. Using the file manager pane on the left (which displays your local files), select the file you want to upload and move them into the right pane (which represents the remote directory of the Avalon dropbox). Time for transfer will vary depending on the size and number of the files being moved.
Example using FileZilla:
If you need to transfer files that belong to different collections, you do not need to start a new connection with a different remote directory. Instead, use the file manager in the right pane (the remote director) and navigate up one level to the parent directory. This directory should list all the collections in your Avalon Media System instance. Navigate to a different collection and transfer any pertinent files using the same method.
Accessing Content in the Dropbox Folder with Avalon
After content has been uploaded to the dropbox folder, it can be accessed when creating items in Avalon under the Manage File(s) screen for an item (see top image). Single files can be selected and processed here, but several files can also be selected at the same time if they are sections of a single item.
- Select the "Open Dropbox" button.
- Select one file or all of the files that make up a single item, and submit the form.
At this point, your files have been pulled from the dropbox and can be created following the standard process. See the Avalon Collections Guide for more information on creating items in Avalon.