DLF Aquifer American Social History Online
DLF Aquifer is a Digital Library Federation initiative. Our purpose is to promote effective use of distributed digital library content for teaching, learning, and research in the area of American culture and life. We support scholarly discovery and access by:
- Developing schemas, protocols and communities of practice to make digital content available to scholars and students where they do their work
- Developing the best possible systems for finding, identifying and using digital resources in context by:
- promoting digital library best practices and
- developing tools and services to improve digital resource access and use
The DLF Aquifer initiative is pleased to share with the community various products of our work that we believe will have use outside the project
OAI Static Repository Gateway
To any potential Aquifer collection providers who were holding out because they did not have an OAI data provider: here is your chance to participate.
If you would like to add your static repository just issue an initiate request:
The gateway will validate your repository and email you with some confirmation instructions. For details on how initiate works refer to the OAI Static Repository specification:
Also for anyone who would like to host their own OAI Static Gateway Service the code is open source and can be downloaded from the UIUC OAI Metadata Harvesting Project SourceForge site. The code is available from the SourceForge SVN or as a ZIP file:
The DLF Aquifer Metadata Working Group has produced the following documentation for sharing within the digital library community. The Working Group welcomes comments on this documentation. Comments and questions can be sent to any Working Group member.
- Digital Library Federation / Aquifer Implementation Guidelines for Sharable Metadata and release notes, describing how MODS should be used for sharing metadata for use in the Aquifer initiative
- MODS Guidelines Levels of Adoption, connecting recommendations from the Guidelines to functions the Aquifer initiative would like to support
- FAQ for MODS Guidelines Implementers
- Data Processing for Aquifer Records
DLF Aquifer actively seeks material that fits within an American culture and life theme, broadly defined. Please consult the document below for information about contributing digital collections to DLF Aquifer.
Technology and Architecture Documents
Aquifer Project Team and Working Group Resources
Team News No core team meeting at DLF Spring Forum.
Working Groups (Private)
Project Management (Private)
The Project Management area contains project schedules, communication plans and items of interest to all working groups.