Building the Client Installer
How to configure the installers for the installation of the Variations client
- Create Config / Build Environment
- #Configure Installer
- #Build Installer
- #Current Windows Installer Overview
After making the appropriate changes to the Variations client configuration files in the previous step. You can now configure the installer for the installation of the Variation's Client
For Windows, NSIS can be used to build installers for end user clients and for digitizer clients. Mac OSX clients are packaged into a .dmg file through Disk Utility. Only end user clients are supported at the moment for Mac OSX.
A technical description of the steps taken by the default NSIS Windows installer and uninstaller can be used for creating an alternative installer using another installer technology.
Create Config / Build Environment
- Install NSIS
- Download and install the most recent version of NSIS from http://nsis.sourceforge.net/.
The Mac installation's disk image will need to be created on the Mac OS using the Disk Utility.
- In the download directory that contains the Variations folder
- setup.nsi - End User Client
- digitizer-setup.nsi - Digitizer/Cataloger Client
- Edit the Values
- The Company value is used to display information to the users in Windows Explorer
- The Company value is displayed under the installer filename in the titles view by default
- The url value used to display that information to users in Windows Explorer.
- The installer uses the userguide url value to add a shortcut to that page from the Start Menu
Also make sure to modify Eula.rtf to reflect the policies of your institution.
See http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Developer_Center for more information to make broader changes to the installer.
- Update the user guide link
- setup.nsi - used to make end user client installer
- digitizer.nsi - used to create digitizer/cataloger client installer
- Run NSIS->MakeNSISW from the Start Menu. In newer versions, just start NSIS and pick Compile NSI Scripts from the NSIS window.
- Load the modified nsi files (setup.nsi and digitizer.nsi): File->Load Script... or by Drag and Drop.
The compiled installers should be created in the directory that contains the nsi scripts.
- setup.exe (result of the setup.nsi script)
- digitizer-setup.exe (result of the digitizer.nsi script)
- The digitizer installer file will install the digitizer/cataloger client as well as links to the MP4 GUI Encoder, and the DjVu Standalone Encoder
The Mac client should now be turned into a disk image (DMG) for distribution to other machines.
Make sure that you have any anti-virus software turned off while creating the disk image.
- Run Disk Utility from /Applications/Utilities.
- Select File -> New -> Disk Image from Folder...
- Select the folder that contains the software and configuration files (created on previous page) and accept the default Image Format and Encryption options.
You have now successfully created the client installer. Next try installing and running the client. There should already be music files loaded into the system to test the streaming and access capabilities.
For an overview of the windows installer see the information below.
Current Windows Installer Overview
The default installer script for end user clients, setup.nsi, builds an installer which does the following:
- Displays a welcome page
- Displays the text of Eula.rtf
- Prompts the user for an install directory (e.g. C:\Program Files\Variations)
- Prompts the user for a Start Menu Folder (e.g. Variations)
- Installs Variations
- Extracts the Variations folder to the selected install directory (excluding the standalone encoders and dml-digitizer.conf)
- Creates an uninstaller and places it in the Variations folder
- Creates on the desktop a shortcut to Variations
- Creates in the Start Menu folder selected above a shortcut to Variations, the online userguide, and the uninstaller
- Creates mime type associations in the system registry
- Creates VARIATIONSDIR system environment variable which points to the install directory
- Reports the success or failure of the installer
- (If successful) Reports completed and allows the user to view the Readme.rtf after closing the installer
The default installer script for digitizer clients, digitizer-setup.nsi, builds an installer similar to the end user client installer except that the installation does the following in addition:
- Creates Desktop shortcuts for the mp4 and djvu encoders
- Creates Start Menu shortcuts for the mp4 and djvu encoders
The uninstaller generated as part of the installation does the following cleanup steps when run:
- Prompts the user before uninstalling, displaying the install directory of Variations
- Uninstalls Variations
- Deletes system environment variable and system registry values
- Deletes the install directory
- Deletes Desktop and Start Menu shortcuts and the Start Menu Folder
- Reports the success or failure of the uninstall