Video player requirements
Note: User story references (e.g., us18) refer to our user stories document.
VoV video player needs to satisfy these requirements:
- RTMP support (us18)
- Fallback to HTML5 video when Flash player is not supported (iOS) (us18)
- Fullscreen capability
Features that are required and nice to have built-in but we can write them ourselves
- Playlist (us11)
- Clip making (us3, us64)
- Closed captions (us43)
- Accessibility (us10)
- Blocking access to certain segments of a video (us90)
Features that are not required but would be nice to have and difficult for us to implement
- Plugin support
- Adjustable playback speed (US 56 - is this possible with streaming?)
- Adaptive streaming - the player can change video quality (when switching to fullscreen or connection slows down)
Features that we will most likely want to write ourselves
- Annotations using OAC (us23, us26, us27...)
- Embedding (us55)
- MIT/BSD/ECL compatible licensing (not GPL)
Video players compared
The list below only compares open-source players with license less strict than GPL.
|m3u8||Yes (flash + html5)||Yes (html5)||Yes (3rd party plugin)||Probably||Unclear|
Engage is based on OSMF. We're looking into Fluid Player.