The first few days of training will be largely self-directed and spent reading introductory articles and completing tutotials about the Text Encoding Initiative (TEI) standard.
The tutorial focuses on the newest version of the TEI, P5. You may be working with a previous version, P4 (i.e., Newton project), but the differences between the two versions are usually inconsequential in terms of learning the basics.
- Reference the readings list predefined in your internship wiki page.
- Catapult TEI Workshops: Part 1 and Part 2
- Review all slides for Part 1: http://dcl.slis.indiana.edu/teiworkshop/teiworkshop_i.pdf
- Review most slides for Part 1: http://dcl.slis.indiana.edu/teiworkshop/teiworkshop_ii/
- Gloss over names/dates (Newton doesn't compile prosopographies or events, but interesting stuff)
- Ignore the Roma slide (we can discuss schema generation later)
Conduct these sample exercises while undergoing the tutorial or afterwards