The first few days of training will be largely self-directed and spent reading introductory articles and completing tutotials about the Text Encoding Initiative (TEI) standard.
The tutorial focuses on the newest version of the TEI, P5. You may be working with a previous version, P4 (i.e., IMH, Newton project), but the differences between the two versions are usually inconsequential in terms of learning the basics.
More or less in order
- An Introduction to TEI and the TEI Consortium
- Electronic Texts: Audiences & Purposes by Perry Willett in A Companion to Digital Humanities
- Other chapters may be of interest to you: http://www.digitalhumanities.org/companion/
- XML in Ten Points
- Gentle Introduction to XML
- Default Text Structure (from the TEI Guidelines, P5)
- Default Text Structure, P4 (only for the IMH project)
- TEI Header (from the TEI Guidelines, P5)
- TEI Header, P4 (only for the IMH project)
- "Text Encoding" by Allen H. Renear in A Companion to Digital Humanities
- "Challenges of Serials Text Encoding in the Spirit of Scholarly Communication" by Michelle Dalmau & Melanie Schlosser, Library Hi Tech (2010) – (only for the IMH)
- "The Text Encoding Initiative and the Study of Literature" by James Cummings in A Companion to Digital Literary Studies
Tutorials & Sample Exercises
- A brief introduction to Markup, Part 1 by John Walsh (about 15 minutes).
- A brief introduction to Markup, Part 2 by John Walsh (about 14 minutes).
- The exercises referenced in the video are available at: http://dcl.ils.indiana.edu/intromarkup/.
- Catapult TEI Workshops: Part 1 and Part 2
- Review all slides for Part 1: http://dcl.slis.indiana.edu/teiworkshop/teiworkshop_i.pdf
- Review all slides for Part 2: http://dcl.slis.indiana.edu/teiworkshop/teiworkshop_ii/
- Sample Exercise: Manuscript Encoding
- TEI by Example
- Tutorials 0-3, 6
General Guidelines and TEI Element References
- TEI Guidelines, P5 (Official guidelines from the TEI; newest version)
- TEI Guidelines, P4 (Official guidelines from the TEI)
- TEI P4 Element Reference (List of elements in TEI P4)
- Best Practices for Text Encoding in Libraries (Includes description of encoding 'levels' and project planning information)