WinSCP is an application for transferring files using FTP (File Transfer Protocol), including SFTP (Secure FTP). These instructions will guide you through connecting to the Media Collections Online dropbox folder for your collection using WinSCP for Windows.
The location for a collection's dropbox is listed at the bottom of the Manage File(s) screen for an item (the first page that appears when creating a new item).
The location, sftp://dropbox.dlib.indiana.edu:/srv/avalon/dropbox/Sample_Videos, contains all of the information you'll need when connecting:
- Connection Protocol: SFTP
- Server URL: pawpaw.dlib.indiana.edu
- Remote Directory for the collection (the directory begins after the colon if present): /srv/avalon/dropbox/Sample_Video
Connecting to the Dropbox Folder with WinSCP
- Open WinSCP to arrive at the login screen; enter the above information in the blank fields (see below):
- File protocol should be set to SFTP
- Enter the server URL found above in the "Host Name" field
- Enter your username and password. If you do not know your username or password, you may not have access and should contact your system administrator.
- Select the "Advanced..." settings.
- Navigate to "Directories" under "Environment."
- Enter the remote directory found above in the "Remote Directory Field" and select "OK."
- Select "Login" to connect to the dropbox.