Workflow for publishing full-text HTML for Studies in Digital Heritage
This is a new approach (June 5, 2017)
- Convert Word docx > XML > HTML for full text publishing in OJS. Commonly referred to as xml-first publishing.
- Use standard format for scholarly publishing: NLM/JATS DTD (defines XML elements).
- meTypeset (docx > XML)
tool to convert from Microsoft Word .docx format to NLM/JATS-XML for scholarly/scientific article typesetting
- Usage: "meTypeset.py docx <input> <output_folder> [options]"
- Installed on OS X machine, required additional installation of lxml and lxslt python packages
Eve, Martin Paul. Building a real XML-first (XML-in) workflow for scholarly typesetting; published on July 20, 2015 https://www.martineve.com/2015/07/20/building-a-real-xml-first-workflow-for-scholarly-typesetting/
Garnett A, Alperin JP, Willinsky J. The Public Knowledge Project XML Publishing Service and meTypeset: Don't call it "Yet Another Word-to-JATS Conversion Kit". In: Journal Article Tag Suite Conference (JATS-Con) Proceedings 2015 [Internet]. Bethesda (MD): National Center for Biotechnology Information (US); 2015. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK279666/
O'Connor C, Haenel S, Gnanapiragasam A, et al. Building an Automated XML-Based Journal Production Workflow. In: Journal Article Tag Suite Conference (JATS-Con) Proceedings 2015 [Internet]. Bethesda (MD): National Center for Biotechnology Information (US); 2015. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK279927
Note: initial proposal using InDesign to export to XML requires as much knowledge as the present proposal, with the additional burden of configuring XML DTDs within the InDesign environment.
1. OJS 3.0 has an in beta plugin HtmlArticleGalleyPlugin.inc.php that may work in the future
- New plugin needs further investigation
- JIRA task IUSW-1242
2. Guide and wiki for OJS 3 https://www.gitbook.com/book/pkp/ojs3/details