The Indiana University Libraries, in collaboration with the University of Texas at Austin, New York Public Library, and digital consultant AVP, were awarded a grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation in 2018 to support initial development, implementation, and pilot testing of an Audiovisual Metadata Platform (AMP) that will enable more efficient generation of metadata to support discovery and use of digitized and born-digital audio and moving image collections.
This grant was preceded by a workshop and resulting white paper funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation and hosted by IU as part of a planning project for design and development of AMP. The partners leading this planning project were the IU Libraries, University of Texas at Austin (UT) School of Information, and AVP.
In the years leading up to this workshop, the project partners had embarked upon various initiatives investigating audiovisual description. In 2015, IU and AVP investigated models and developed a strategy for high-throughput description of audiovisual materials that are being digitized as part of IU’s Media Digitization Preservation Initiative (MDPI).
The AMPPD project is hiring!
The Library Technologies division of the IU Libraries is seeking a half-time digital library project assistant to help with project documentation, internal and external communication, user experience design, and testing for AMP, the Audiovisual Metadata Platform. For more info, see the job posting.
Project Background Information
- Mellon Grant Proposal Narrative.
- Audiovisual Metadata Platform (AMP) Planning Project: Progress Report and Next Steps. 2018. Dunn, Jon W.; Hardesty, Juliet L.; Clement, Tanya; Lacinak, Chris; Rudersdorf, Amy
- IU Press Release, November 1, 2018: IU Libraries receives $1.2 million grant to develop ability to search digitized audiovisual files.
- IU Libraries Brown Bag Series. November 28, 2018. AMP-lifying IU’s media collections with the Audiovisual Metadata Platform.
- CNI Spring 2018.
- Digital Library Federation 2018.
- Digital Library Federation 2017.
- AMIA 2017.
More coming soon!