This is a work in progress in preparation for upcoming Avalon 7 release
See the Avalon 7.0 Release Notes for more information.
Avalon 7.0 and above requires Ruby 2.5 or newer. If you're using RVM, simply run
For Manual Installations
- Download and deploy new code from the avalon repository.
- Install bundler 2, update gems, and migrate DB
3. Install yarn and update JS dependencies
4. Restart passenger (if using)
5. Upgrade Redis and Restart Resque (background jobs processor)
6. Upgrade ffmpeg (version 4+). You can either download a prebuilt binary
Or use https://github.com/jrottenberg/ffmpeg to build ffmpeg and then copy it to your machine. Be sure to update the ffmpeg path in
config/settings.yml to match where it was installed.
7. Upgrade mediainfo
8. Retire Matterhorn
9. Setup nginx streaming if you had been previously depending on the rails server to serve the HLS content.
10. Run waveform backfill script
This script will kick off many background jobs to generate waveform data for existing content for use with the new structural metadata editor. (New content will have waveforms generated as part of the ingest process.) If you have a lot of files ingested into Avalon the background jobs may take a very long time to run. See Waveform Backfill Script for more information.
11. Turn on the timeliner in settings.yml:
For Docker Installations
Rebuild and replace Avalon container.