The image search template application is a generic implementation of the Slocum Puzzles webapp with features adapted from the IN Harmony web application. The intent is to provide an end-user interface with basic functionality that can be easily adapted for our most common object types. Currently, it serves the "detail pages" (images and metadata) for simple collections, including Hoagy, Hohenberger, and U.S. Steel.
The source code for this template is in the search project under the infrastructure subversion repository.
Steps for customization:
- Determine the fields needed for searching, browsing, facets and sorting, configuration for the fedora-index-service, and build the index.
- Create a new subdirectory of the "web" directory in the "search" project for the collection.
- Determine the fields needed for display and create a custom search-config.xml (main search configuration), parser-config.xml (query analyzer configuration), fields.xslt (SRU response field extraction code).
- Update the search results and item jsp pages to display your custom fields.
- Update the navigation, footer, and any other elements whose look and feel you want customized.
- fielded search
- boolean search
- full-text search
- Full-text search result snippets with highlighting
- Thesaurus-based term expansion
See also Delivery System Requirements.
Here we list tools that have been developed to ease development of custom search/browse web applications.
- PhotoRender - a simple java3d application that can be configured to collect a list of images from an SRU server and lay out representations of them in a 3D environment. This is useful for making backgrounds and collages for web site banners and such.