These are my (bdwheele) brainstorming notes for the VM image...I'm still testing this.
- Using VirtualBox:
- 1 Core
- 3G RAM
- 500G System Disk (VMDK, Dynamically Allocated)
- Set network to "Attached to Bridged Adapter"
Base OS Install
- Centos 6.4 x86-64
- English language and keyboard
- hostname: localhost.localdomain (the default)
- if it is localhost it should set it to the dhcp hostname provided.
- Clear "Device MAC address"
- Connect automatically
- IPv4 Settings
- set timezone to america/indiana/indianapolis, clock uses utc
- root password is 'changeme'
- custom layout
- /dev/sda1: 500M ext4 mounted as /boot
- /dev/sda2: (remainder of disk) Physical volume
- Volume Group: vg_avalon
- PVs: /dev/sda2
- LV lv_swap 2G
- LV lv_root (remainder of disk) ext4 mounted as /
- Desktop install
- Reboot / Firstboot
- Leave all of the defaults, except...
- Do Not create a new user
- Log in as root
- do not check "do not show me this again" to the "you are running as root" dialog. Just close it.
- yum update
- open these ports in the firewall:
- clean up eth0 configuration in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:
- remove UUID
- remove any DHCP_CLIENT_ID
- shut down the VM
- at this point the vm is at "baseOS" and can be used as a cloning point
- clone the baseOS image as puppet-YYYYMMDD
- Use the installation notes from https://github.com/avalonmediasystem/avalon-installer
- When setting FACTER_* environment variables, set
- FACTER_avalon_dropbox_password to "changeme"
- FACTER_avalon_hostname to "localhost.localdomain"
- clone the puppet image as democontent-YYMMDD
demo fixtures install:
Grab the demo fixtures bundle:
wget dlib.indiana.edu/~cjcolvar/DemoFixturesBatch.tar.gz #We need a better place to serve this from
tar xvzf DemoFixturesBatch.tar.gz
#At this point the demo fixture batch should start running, you can check on them in the avalon interface, and you'll need to wait until it is all done
Once it is done processing then figure out the pids for the three media objects
Edit /var/www/avalon/current/app/views/catalog/_home_text.html.erb so that the a href's have a path to those objects:
<a href="<%= media_object_path('avalon:1') %>" class="thumbnail"><%= image_tag "Nutcracker-Ballet.png", alt: "Featured Collection" %></a>
Go to the home page and make sure that the images and objects match up and link correctly. That's it!
VM Image Prep
- clone the latest democontent image as dist-YYMMDD
- Install avalon-vm-1.0-1.noarch.rpm to install the firstboot changes and tools
- run /usr/share/avalon/dist-prep to prepare the machine for release
- clear the command line history (history -c)
- shutdown the VM
- Export the appliance
- use a 0.9 version OVA
- use a MANIFEST
- copy the OVA to the distribution point